Pages

Sunday 9 October 2011

Existing Album Cover Artwork - Interesting Ideas/Concepts


(Alternative Rock/Post-Britpop/Electronica)


(Hardcore Punk/Punk Rock)


(Hardcore Punk/Punk Rock)

The last two do not actually have the title of the songs or the band name on them but are both by ‘Gallows’ and are from the same album. I like the way that the simple graphic design used on the ‘Keane’ cover with the charging horses gives a very different affect to the more detailed designs of the shark and octopus on the ‘Gallows’ covers.
The ‘Keane’ cover has intertextuality references to the painting called ‘Neptune’s Horses’ by Walter Crane (shown below):

(Neptune's Horses by Walter Crane)

For some reason, the second one (called ‘In the Belly of a Shark’) reminds me of the film ‘Jaws’ because of the way that the shark is attacking the boat. Whether that was the intention or not; I have no idea. What these covers have given me is an initial idea into what I could use in order to add intertextuality references into my Digipak artwork and make it more interesting and eye-catching (even if it is not as detailed as the ‘Gallows’ covers).

No comments:

Post a Comment